POSITION: Corporate Proposal Specialist
FIRM: Coffman Engineers
FIRM BIO: You could choose to work anywhere, so why work at Coffman Engineers? Because we are different – our culture sets us apart and is as unique as you are. Coffman’s culture is one that reflects the values we hold that are rooted in our 39-year history. Simply stated, we are a group of creative, high-performing individuals who like working together and believe that what we do makes a difference. Our culture isn’t the only thing that makes us different, but it drives everything we do. When you work at Coffman, you work for a company that genuinely cares about you. We take pride in helping employees grow personally and professionally. Coffman offers comprehensive benefits, including a flexible PTO program and family-friendly policies. Our Anchorage office is in the heart of downtown, close to restaurants, trails, shopping, and conveniences. We welcome the dedicated and the driven. Join us. Don’t take our word for it. Check out what others are saying: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Coffman-Engineers-Reviews-E409809.htm
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Are you a story teller? Do you thrive working in a deadline oriented environment? Are you up for the challenge of transforming technical bullet points into persuasive proposal submittals? Then we want to hear from you! Coffman Engineers is looking for the right individual to join our corporate marketing team in the role of Corporate Proposal Specialist. This position will be responsible for supporting proposal efforts throughout Coffman’s office locations. The Corporate Proposal Specialist will initially start as a part time role, approximately 32 hours per week, but we anticipate the position will become a full time, 40 hour per week role. We prefer candidates for this position work out of our Anchorage office, but we will consider candidates residing in any city where Coffman has an office.
The Corporate Proposal Specialist will help our growing company strategically manage multi-office and unique proposals while supporting offices as necessary to alleviate heavy proposal loads. The selected candidate may be involved with any or all parts of the proposal process, from the go/no-go decision to the proposal debrief. Sometimes this position will lead the proposal process, sometimes it will support proposals being led by others. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned A/E/C marketer with a passion for technical and persuasive writing to join our growing company and thriving marketing team.
Corporate Proposal Specialist duties:
- Write plain-English proposals with technically complex concepts that non-technical readers can understand. Each proposal is custom-written, working from various InDesign templates. The response could be a single page or 50 pages. It could be a response in SF330 format or an architect’s request for qualifications. Every situation is unique.
- Work hand-in-hand with companywide marketing gurus, engineers, various departments, and subconsultants to gather intel, assess prospective clients’ needs, and evaluate the competitive environment.
- Assume the title of master juggler. You will be a detail-focused, schedule driven, multiple-hat-wearing, punctuation enforcing proposal writer. You will have an eye for graphic design, a brain for strategic thinking, a passion for collaboration, and a hunger for learning new concepts.
- Have a strong background with proposal writing in the A/E/C industry. We will teach you Coffman’s approach to writing proposals, but you must possess enough knowledge of proposal writing and Adobe InDesign to immediately begin supporting various pursuits.
- Support a variety of local and corporate marketing and BD initiatives. Proposals will be your main responsibility, but you may also support other tasks ranging from marketing database upkeep to press release writing to support of company growth and other tasks.
To be clear, you do not need to have a Ph.D. in technical writing or engineering for this position, but you should have a strong working knowledge of the processes involved in pursuing work through persuasive writing. We prefer candidates with a Bachelor’s degree and 5-10 years of A/E/C proposal writing experience.
You will have:
- A positive, can-do attitude and the desire to be part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills. You will be working with many team members in other Coffman offices throughout the country, so clear written and interpersonal communication and strong listening skills are a must.
- The ability to take direction and work independently while prioritizing tasks associated with simultaneous deadlines.
- A proficiency using MS Office 365 programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, OneNote, and PowerPoint) and Adobe CC (InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat). Most of our proposals are assembled in InDesign, so a working knowledge of this software is a must.
This is a job that requires using both the left and right sides of your brain. Few people can do it well. For the right person, it’s a great job. Your application is your best opportunity to demonstrate the skills we’re looking for.
To apply, please provide:
- A single-page cover letter that briefly details your experience and describes what drives you personally.
- A resume that includes your professional experience, achievements, and organizational involvement.
- Work samples. Proposals, press releases, brochures – show us what you’ve done! We understand that these materials are often confidential, but you are encouraged to be creative with what you show us for work samples.
Please combine all files into one document and upload with your online application. We look forward to learning more about you!
You must apply online for this position. If you are unable to complete our online application process, or if you need assistance to do so, let us know so we can provide a reasonable accommodation.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to create a user profile that allows you to manage the application process, answer a few questions, attach your resume and other documents, and then submit. We look forward to learning more about you! Go to http://www.coffman.com/home/careers/openings/anchorage-openings on Coffman’s website and open the appropriate position posting.
If you are experiencing problems applying through our system, please try again using a different browser or an updated version of your current browser. If that doesn’t work, please contact us directly.
This position is direct with Coffman Engineers; we are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled individuals.